Sunday, April 4, 2010

EASTER NOTE: My Writing, My Faith

Good morning, friends. What a brilliant, awe-inspiring day!

I want to pause for a moment on this Easter Sunday to share something personal with my readers. I want to address the faith issue found in my books, and to explain why I write the stories I do.

Many people have asked, "Why do you write for the Christian market? Isn't there more money to be made in secular writing?" There is more money to be made in the ABA (American Bookseller's Association), for sure, but that's not where I feel called. I do hope that some of my books will cross over those invisible boundary lines and make their way into the hands of readers who usually read ABA books, but my primary audience is still Christians.

I know a lot of people are hollering, "When you write for fellow Christians, you're just preaching to the choir!" I suppose there's some truth to that. But I have a strong passion to encourage and uplift Christians, primarily woman. So many have been through rough seasons in their lives. The light-hearted, faith-filled stories that I write are meant to remind them that life goes on. There is hope. You will get through this. . .and you can experience joy along the way!

Why do I feel so strongly about this? I've been through several rough seasons in my own life. Between 2006 and 2007, I went through multiple personal tragedies, one of top of another. By the time I got to the fall of 2007, I was at a really low place. But God used the books--and the writing--to lift me out of the pit. I figure, if writing can do that for the writer. . .it can do that for the reader.

Today, as we ponder the miracle of Easter. . .as we think about resurrection, new life and empty tombs. . .be reminded that people in the 21st century are still looking for answers, just like they were 2000 years ago. That empty tomb is symbolic of the hollow place in each heart; the place that only Jesus can fill. Pray with me, if you will, that my books will make their way into the right hands. Let's begin to trust God that Christian fiction will be a mighty tool to uplift and encourage believers and unbelievers alike.

Bless you all this Easter season. Thanks for being such awesome friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment